There are female athletes who will be competing at the Olympic Games this summer after undergoing treatment to make them less masculine.
Still others are being secretly investigated for displaying overly manly characteristics, as sport’s highest medical officials attempt to quantify — and regulate — the hormonal difference between male and female athletes.
Caster Semenya, the South African runner who was so fast and muscular that many suspected she was a man, exploded onto the front pages three years ago. She was considered an outlier, a one-time anomaly.
But similar cases are emerging all over the world, and Semenya, who was banned from competition for 11 months while authorities investigated her sex, is back, vying for gold.
Semenya and other women like her face a complex question: Does a female athlete whose body naturally produces unusually high levels of male hormones, allowing them to put on more muscle mass and recover faster, have an “unfair” advantage?
In a move critics call “policing femininity,” recent rule changes by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the governing body of track and field, state that for a woman to compete, her testosterone must not exceed the male threshold.
If it does, she must have surgery or receive hormone therapy prescribed by an expert IAAF medical panel and submit to regular monitoring. So far, at least a handful of athletes — the figure is confidential — have been prescribed treatment, but their numbers could increase. Last month, the International Olympic Committee began the approval process to adopt similar rules for the Games.
There’s a lot going on here, but here’s what jumped out at us immediately: Women, particularly women athletes, are constantly told they’re not as strong or fast as men—and now that they’re proving otherwise, they’re being forced to undergo hormone treatments. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that women of color are coming under fire for this more than white women. From the article: “Lindsay Perry, another scientist, says sometimes whole teams of African women are dead ringers for men.” This is a clear example of how we’ve constructed a very particular, very narrow ideal of femininity and womanhood that devalues and casts aside black women in particular.
23217 Notes/ Hide
- krtkrt reblogged this from tockthewatchdog
- leonfreak17 reblogged this from yoursocialconstructsareshowing
- theshady-lady likes this
- rodsbabe reblogged this from afabulousgenderqueer
- assbuttfrom221bbakerstreet reblogged this from silentastherave
- brittanaismyotpforever likes this
- pansexualcap likes this
- msp8n likes this
- happehpills reblogged this from daft-hunk
- theveganescapist reblogged this from trashbratt
- hesterparr reblogged this from eastberlin
- puntocl likes this
- lemonstarfriends likes this
- iseeyoueating reblogged this from silentastherave
- arysuh reblogged this from honkapotis
- imonlysmilingbecauseihateyou likes this
- acrossthetrail likes this
- acrossthetrail reblogged this from acemanifesto
- thesefestivities reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- thesefestivities likes this
- ewekneecorn reblogged this from benjaminskanklin
- thescrabblesmcjellyfish reblogged this from lesbianmorrigan
- itsjustolee reblogged this from eminicki
- honkapotis reblogged this from starsick
- burning-up-a-star reblogged this from benjaminskanklin
- raudette reblogged this from poutypuffgirl
- benjaminskanklin reblogged this from theoreticallytrue
- benjaminskanklin likes this
- silentastherave reblogged this from nebulae-and-bad-jokes
- theoreticallytrue reblogged this from lesradicalfeminisms
- theoreticallytrue likes this
- sing-to-me-cas likes this
- there-once-was-a-pirate reblogged this from puplife
- quigonejinn likes this
- emerald-san likes this
- gothxanax likes this
- mmmmaki reblogged this from shamelesslyunladylike
- mmmmaki likes this
- thefreefallingsociopath likes this
- thebluesociopath reblogged this from samuel-vimes
- getxgreener reblogged this from stayuglystayangry
- ronswansonsmustache reblogged this from tockthewatchdog
- lacollision reblogged this from stayuglystayangry
- twelfth-doctor-in-the-tardis likes this
- polkadottedslippers reblogged this from samuel-vimes
- fete-galante likes this
- stressed-depressed-nico-obsessed reblogged this from firstgingerdoctor
- stressed-depressed-nico-obsessed likes this
- bookwormllama reblogged this from the-fault-in-our-bucky
- selmaemilie likes this