There are female athletes who will be competing at the Olympic Games this summer after undergoing treatment to make them less masculine.
Still others are being secretly investigated for displaying overly manly characteristics, as sport’s highest medical officials attempt to quantify — and regulate — the hormonal difference between male and female athletes.
Caster Semenya, the South African runner who was so fast and muscular that many suspected she was a man, exploded onto the front pages three years ago. She was considered an outlier, a one-time anomaly.
But similar cases are emerging all over the world, and Semenya, who was banned from competition for 11 months while authorities investigated her sex, is back, vying for gold.
Semenya and other women like her face a complex question: Does a female athlete whose body naturally produces unusually high levels of male hormones, allowing them to put on more muscle mass and recover faster, have an “unfair” advantage?
In a move critics call “policing femininity,” recent rule changes by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the governing body of track and field, state that for a woman to compete, her testosterone must not exceed the male threshold.
If it does, she must have surgery or receive hormone therapy prescribed by an expert IAAF medical panel and submit to regular monitoring. So far, at least a handful of athletes — the figure is confidential — have been prescribed treatment, but their numbers could increase. Last month, the International Olympic Committee began the approval process to adopt similar rules for the Games.
There’s a lot going on here, but here’s what jumped out at us immediately: Women, particularly women athletes, are constantly told they’re not as strong or fast as men—and now that they’re proving otherwise, they’re being forced to undergo hormone treatments. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that women of color are coming under fire for this more than white women. From the article: “Lindsay Perry, another scientist, says sometimes whole teams of African women are dead ringers for men.” This is a clear example of how we’ve constructed a very particular, very narrow ideal of femininity and womanhood that devalues and casts aside black women in particular.
22063 Notes/ Hide
- misslynettesf likes this
- ohveryfancy reblogged this from jawdusted
- ohveryfancy likes this
- iywppfw reblogged this from addictionado
- iywppfw likes this
- kingsleepingbag reblogged this from interstellarhitchhiker and added:
- lesbossy likes this
- deluxeyellowflower likes this
- mmackicrese likes this
- deerkhaleesi likes this
- addictionado reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- addictionado likes this
- therealmccall likes this
- contracat25 reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- jackspacepirate reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- irresponsiblereader reblogged this from interstellarhitchhiker
- irresponsiblereader likes this
- eveyalecia likes this
- actual-dancing-queen reblogged this from theorangedead
- hervoyel likes this
- testchamber19 likes this
- interndanatho likes this
- interndanatho reblogged this from realhousewivesoftamriel
- fracturedblue likes this
- uiowafeministunion reblogged this from interstellarhitchhiker
- finger-me-reita reblogged this from problemspoof
- finger-me-reita likes this
- interstellarhitchhiker reblogged this from shooshopath
- interstellarhitchhiker likes this
- chanhurl reblogged this from minsuckit
- laughlikeyoureallymeanit reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- bringondacray reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- eatenupbywildbeasts likes this
- everysecondtuesday likes this
- shooshopath reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- flamingcrap likes this
- safiyaaaaa reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- safiyaaaaa likes this
- lspvevo likes this
- icanwritejunk likes this
- gotfanfiction reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- shadownin reblogged this from qiowder
- floweredtissuebox reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- wixren reblogged this from busket
- merdragoness likes this
- tanja-not-tanya likes this
- azmaria34 reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- doodlidandelion reblogged this from loneforestfox
- realhousewivesoftamriel reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- realhousewivesoftamriel likes this